Discover, Share, Participate Eastside Heritage Center Eastside Heritage Center Eastside Heritage Center Eastside Heritage Center
Eastside Heritage CenterEducationEventsCurrent DisplaysOur CollectionsHeritage CornerGalleryServices AvailableMembershipVolunteer OpportunitiesDonate to Eastside Heritage CenterNews/NewslettersBookstoreContact Eastside Heritage Center Bellevue Historical Tour

1. Danieli/Matsuoka Cabin - 700 148th SE (Larson Lake) - this log cabin was built about 1890 near Phantom Lake.  From 1950 - 1966, it was owned by John Matsuoka, a Japanese resident who was forced to move to an internment camp during World War II.  The cabin was moved to Larsen Lake by the City of Bellevue Parks Department in 1989.  


2. Larsen Lake Farm - 700-148th SE/14812 SE 8th (Larson Lake) - the Larsen Lake Farm (also known as Blueberry Lake) was named for a Danish couple, Ove and Mary Larsen, who homesteaded in the area in 1890. Their house stood where a K-Mart was built in later years. The Larsens harvested wild blue huckleberries and cranberries from the surrounding wetlands.  In 1918, the Larsens sold half the property to the four Aries brothers, who turned the property into one of the largest vegetable farms in the area. The other half of the property was sold to Louis Weinzirl in the 1940s, who started the blueberry farm.


3. Fraser House - 13204 SE 8th (Kelsey Creek Park) - this log cabin, one of Bellevue's oldest structures, was built in the Northup area in 1888 by two Norwegian woodsmen named Olsen and Ferguson.  The original owner, Daniel William Fraser, an early resident and pioneer of the Bellevue area, had the cabin built for his sister, Fanny, when she was married.  Fanny and Steven Rathbun lived in the honeymoon cottage for several months before moving to Massachusetts, and thereafter it was used as a storage barn.   It was moved to its current location at Kelsey Creek in 1974.


4. Miller Homestead - 2432 148th Ave SE (Robinswood Park) - The three original log structures were built by homesteader Hans Miller. In 1884, he built the small first log cabin, one of very few in the Bellevue area that is in good condition and in its original location. Over the next ten years, Miller built the log barn and a larger log cabin to replace the small cabin as the family home. The larger cabin is now known as Robinswood House, inside which the original logs are still visible.


5. Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 10838 Main Street - Sacred Heart Catholic Church is the oldest remaining Catholic Church structure in Bellevue, and is the oldest church structure in Bellevue still in its original location. It was the second Catholic Church constructed in Bellevue.  Mr. Noe Lanier, an early Bellevue pioneer, originally donated the property to the church, which opened in 1926 and was operated by the Sacred Heart Parish for over 30 years.


6. Twin Valley Barns - 13204 SE 8th Place (Kelsey Creek Park) - Kelsey Creek Farm, originally the Twin Valley Dairy Farm, is one of the few remnants of dairy farming in the Bellevue area. It was named for the valleys on either side of the barns.  The first barn, built in 1923-1924, was destroyed by fire in 1933 and rebuilt within two weeks. The adjacent small red barn was built in 1930s and used as a milk house. The North (or Pottery) barn was built in 1943-1944.


7. Wilburton Railroad Trestle - Lake Hills Connector - the original railroad trestle spanning Mercer Slough was built in 1904 by the Northern Pacific Railroad as part of a spur connecting the Bellevue area with the major railroad center in Renton. The frame bents used to construct the original trestle were of untreated material. The rapid decomposition of the wood required the complete replacement of the frame bents in 1913, 1924, and 1933.


8. Frederick W. Winters House - 2102 Bellevue Way SE - the Frederick W. Winters House, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1929 by Frederick and Cecilia Winters. The Winters purchased 10 acres along Mercer Slough in 1917 to establish a wholesale florist business.  The Winters House is important for both its distinctive architectural character reflecting the Spanish Eclectic style and its association with bulb growing and the floricultural industry in King County and Washington State. It is one of the few buildings associated with the past agricultural activity in the Bellevue area that remains on its original site and has retained its architectural integrity.

Photographs and text courtesy of Eastside Heritage Center. 

Return to Eastside Historical Tours

 

 

Home : Links : Site Map